Friday, April 22, 2011

Who are early adopters?

One of the comments I've seen on NI forums is that "We have to accept the (pathetic) state because we're early adopters."

NO.

Don't twist the meaning of early adopters. An early adopter is the one who wants to be among the first to invest in a product while accepting its limitations. An early adopter is NOT the one who is an early investor in a malfunctioning product! Limitation does not mean malfunctioning. It means "there is a clear promise and possibility of additional features and benefits, but they do not exist in the current version", and not "50% of what we promised won't work." or "I need to hack the device to make it work"

The iPad is a good example. Lots of people plonked > 500$ in the first version knowing that it would not have the fastest processor, or a camera, or any interfaces, or retina display. But what they knew was it was a tablet, it would work well on a touch interface, and that it would most definitely be outdated in 6 - 12 months because of Apple's release cycle. Yet they purchased it, and when they had it in their hands - it worked. Not '20% worked'

Which brings me to the next version - why did NI release a buggy, not-ready-to-market device to those who greatly anticipated it? I have my theories. That's for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I try to publish all comments so long as I feel like it based on my set of rules for acceptable comments. Those rules keep changing in my mind.