Thursday, April 21, 2011

Notion Ink - Why words mean nothing

I've talked about how words don't mean much but delivery does. Yes, there are a few die-hards for whom faults of Adam are no faults and it's all well and they're happy hacking. Well, NI is dead if their target market is the hacking community.

Having said that, let me draw your attention to a post by Rohan on Aug 30 2010. That's what - like 8 months ago. Quite a while. In it, he talks about 'Early Access Program', '24 x 7 support to developers (e-mail and phone)', A test Adam (I presume),  full access to OS and UI.

What happened to the program?

Where are the developers? Why does NIH have to do all the heavy lifting if there's a EAP?

Why isn't the software high quality? Did no EAP devs identify/fix issues?

Why is the hardware this buggy?

Did he actually deliver the promised 24 x 7 support?

Is he delivering on his words?

What astonishes me is the way so many are eating out of his hands for empty words. Theoretically I could start a blog, come up with an idea (doesn't need much thinking. I could talk about a super slim 8" tablet with Thunderbolt and HDMI, 2 Gig memory, bright high-res LCD, Near field comms and 3D capable display. Voila!). All I need to do is

a) Write fancy visions of the future

b) Choose a beefier hardware spec

c) Keep promising delivery

and boom! I have a bunch of fans who will believe what I say.

And then I take their money and deliver a crappy product. They'll still sing my praises. Apparently taking the company to task on its word isn't all that important.

The consumer hardware is a very different game when compared to software. It takes more than words to get it out right.

I'm going to pick a few more posts from the past - just to demonstrate. Keep tuned.

You know what I prefer? People (including CEOs) who keep their mouth shut and do their job - which is to deliver on their promises to their customers.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right. I have the same feelings and you described it exactly. Rohan is all hat and not cattle.
    If you do not mind, can I use your post on my website? I want every one out there who have been mislead by chief; beware of this company. Infact, Notion Ink is not a a company but a team of robbers and liars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, you can quote this post (please mention source as well). While I wouldn't go so far as to call them robbers, I certainly do think they're utterly incompetent and clueless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I try to publish all comments so long as I feel like it based on my set of rules for acceptable comments. Those rules keep changing in my mind.