Saturday, July 23, 2011

some silly math - Adam on eBay vs. iPad

So, right now there are about 13 Notion Ink Adam's out on sale on eBay (there are some that are listed on tabletroms & conclave but I'll assume double-count and not add them)

I was just thinking: If the same % of Apple owners sold their iPads as the NI owners sold their Adams....there would be a bit more than

95,000 iPads on eBay.

There's about 2,800 in reality.

Alternatively, if the % of eBay owners selling their iPads was same as NI owners selling their Adams... there would be have to be 4 times as many Adam owners there are today to see One Adam on eBay.

It tells me just one thing -- there are significantly more Adam owners wanting to sell their devices than there are selling iPads. That's not a nice fan following ;)

3 comments:

  1. Love it! So it finally occurred to me how NI might be making some (small) amount of revenue: they load the tablets with lots of trial spam software.

    Think about it, they pre-load QuickOffice on Adam, and I don't think it's the full version. It has basic functionality but you need to pay to unlock more. For the stupid thumb keyboard and the math app, total trials.

    I would bet actual money that the real reason behind their inclusion is that NI either got money upfront for preloading the trials or they get a percentage of each upgrade (affiliate, more or less). Something tells me that's that this companies long term goal, sell out as much space on the Adam as possible. Hey it works for Windows PC vendors and US Android carriers. (incidentally this just one reason I primarily use Apple products. As a technology journalist, I review a lot of gear, but when I buy for myself, my phone, tablet, desktop and laptop all come from Apple).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great observation. Well, Notion Ink doesn't seem to really care about its existing consumers. Looking at the amount of buzz on the internet, it seems they're hard at work at the Adam 2 to be unveiled in december, so by July next year there should be Adam 2's floating on ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might be right, but then it's got to be minuscule right? If the company as a whole sold, say., 2500 tablets - I don't know how much these software pre-loads pay for them - but even if it's a few $$$ per install that's "nothing". It may make sense in a volume (they did plan for 100K devices a month if you recall), but right now - it amounts to nothing. But yeah that's probably an angle, but to be honest I don't think they a plan. Any plan that makes sense. I'm so curious to know who the investors are and what they're smoking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I try to publish all comments so long as I feel like it based on my set of rules for acceptable comments. Those rules keep changing in my mind.